We’d definitely recommend wearing an apron for this one, there’s no limit to the places flour can end up. We’ve used a heart shaped cutter for our biscuits, but you can cut out whatever shape you like!
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 8 minutes
150g unsalted butter, cold
225g plain flour, sieved
55g caster sugar
85g Nesquik Strawberry Milkshake Powder
2 large egg yolks (you can freeze the whites)
½ tsp gel red food colouring
You will also need:
1 round biscuit cutter, 1 heart shaped biscuit cutter
2 baking trays lined with baking paper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C, 170°C fan, Gas Mark 5.
2. Add the butter and flour to a food processor and pulse until it becomes crumb like in texture. Decant the crumbs into a large bowl.
3. Add the sugar, Nesquik Strawberry Milkshake Powder and egg yolks to the bowl. Using clean hands, mix to form a stiff dough. This may require a bit of elbow grease and will give those arms a workout! Wrap the dough ball in cling film and pop in the fridge for 10 minutes just to firm up.
4. Cut about ¼ off the dough and wrap the remaining ¾ of the dough in cling film and set aside. Push an indent into the dough using your thumb and add the food colouring. Gently knead in the food colouring until the dough turns pink. You may want to use food safe gloves for this part as it can get quite messy!
5. Dust a clean work surface with flour and flour your hands and a rolling pin. Roll the plain dough out to about 0.5cm (¼inch) thick and cut into circles using the biscuit cutters. Place each circle onto the lined baking tray leaving a little gap in between each one. Using the heart shaped cutter, cut a heart out of the centre of each circle.
TIP: Don’t throw the cut-out centres away! You can pop them on a lined baking tray and bake for 4-5 minutes.
6. Roll the pink dough to the same thickness as your plain dough. Using the same cutter you used before, carefully cut heart shapes out of the pink dough and place in the heart shaped holes in the plain dough.
TIP: If your dough has got very soft, pop the trays into the fridge for 10 minutes to chill. This will also stop the biscuits from spreading too much when baking.
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the biscuits are golden. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before enjoying with friends and family!